PHASED ARRAY ULTRASONIC TESTING
What is Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing?
Phased Array technology is the ability to modify electronically the acoustic probe characteristics. Probe modifications are performed by introducing time shifts in the signals sent to and received from individual elements of an array probe. Any Ultrasonic techniques for flaw detection and sizing can be applied using Phased-Array probes. Phased Array provides high speed electronic scanning without moving parts, improved inspection capabilities through software control of beam characteristics, inspection with multiple angles with a single electronically controlled probe, many configurations; P/E, T/R, TOFD and Tandem, and greater flexibility for inspection of complex geometries (optimized focusing and optimised beam angle).
Phased Array can be used for the following applications; raw material production, aircraft, naval, power generation, petrochemical and anything else that currently applies pulse-echo testing.
What are the responsibilities of a individual who is certified to Phased Array Ultrasonic testing Level II?
An individual certified to PAUT Level II has demonstrated competence to perform NDT according to UT PA procedures. Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Level II personnel may be authorised by the employer to:
- Select the PAUT technique for the test method to be used;
- Define the limitations of application of the testing method;
- Translate NDT codes, standards, specifications and procedures into NDT instructions adapted to the actual working conditions;
- Set up and verify equipment settings;
- Perform and supervise tests;
- Interpret and evaluate results according to applicable standards, codes, specifications or procedures;
- Prepare PAUT written instructions
- Carry out and supervise all tasks at or below level II;
- Provide guidance for personnel at or below level II, and
- Report the results of PAUT test
PAUT Training in Chennai
80 hrs of PAUT Level II training covers the following:
- Principles of Phased Array probes
- Principles of inspection sensitivity
- Phased Array Instrument
- Scanning with Phased Array probes
- Calibration and checks
- Software for data collection and data analysis
- Principles of data analysis
- Software familiarity
- Use of software tools for defect detection and sizing
- Data analysis
- Procedures for verification of flaw existence and position